A driver’s license is one of the most important identity documents in India. It is used for various purposes, including operating a vehicle and as a proof of identity. If you have recently changed your name due to marriage, divorce, adoption, or any other reason, it is important to update your driver’s license as soon as possible. In this article, we will discuss the process of change name in license in India.
What are the steps to change name in License in India?
All you need to follow some simple steps in order to name change in license. Here are these steps:
Step 1: Obtain a Legal Document Proving Your Name Change
The first step to changing your name on your driver’s license is to obtain a legal document proving your name change. This document could be a marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption certificate, or a court order. The document must show your old name and your new name.
Step 2: Visit the Regional Transport Office (RTO)
Once you have the legal document, you must visit the Regional Transport Office (RTO) where your driver’s license was issued. You will need to fill out a change of name form, which is available at the RTO. You will also need to submit the following documents.
In India, changing your name on your driver’s license requires you to submit certain documents to the concerned authorities. The following is a list of the documents that you may need:
- Application form: You need to fill out a form provided by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) indicating your request for a name change.
- Proof of identity: This can be your passport, PAN card, Aadhaar card, or voter ID card. It must show your previous name as well as your new name.
- Proof of address: You will need to submit a recent utility bill or bank statement as proof of your current address.
- Proof of name change: You will need to provide an official document such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or a court order if your name has changed due to marriage, divorce, or a legal process.
- Passport-sized photographs: Two passport-sized photographs will be required for the updated license.
- Original driving license: You need to submit your original driving license to the RTO.
Once you have gathered all of the required documents, you need to visit the RTO in person and submit them. The RTO will verify the information and make the necessary changes to your driving license.
Step 3: Submit the Application
After you have completed the change of name form and gathered all the necessary documents, you must submit the application at the RTO. The RTO will verify your documents and process your application.
Step 4: Wait for Approval
Once your application has been submitted, you will need to wait for approval. This process can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks, depending on the RTO. You will be notified by the RTO when your name change has been approved.
Step 5: Obtain Your Updated Driver’s License
Once your name change has been approved, you can obtain your updated driver’s license. You will need to visit the RTO and bring your original driver’s license and proof of identity. The RTO will issue you a new driver’s license with your updated name.
Changing your name on your driver’s license in India is a straightforward process. It requires you to obtain a legal document proving your name change, visit the RTO, submit an application, wait for approval, and obtain your updated driver’s license. By following these steps, you can ensure that your driver’s license accurately reflects your new name.