heheIn India, it is not uncommon for people to want to change their name, whether it is due to marriage, divorce, or simply a personal preference. However, changing the name of a parent, specifically a father, can be a more complicated process. In this article, we will discuss the steps involved in legally changing the father’s name in India.
Legal Requirements for Changing Father’s Name in India
The process for legally changing a father’s name in India will depend on the specific circumstances of the individual. In general, the following requirements must be met:
- The individual must be an adult and have the mental capacity to make the decision to change their name.
- The individual must have a valid reason for changing their name. Acceptable reasons may include a change in marital status, adoption, or a change in gender identity.
- The individual must not have any criminal convictions or pending legal cases.
- The individual must not be changing their name for fraudulent purposes.
Can I change my father’s name online?
Yes, you can change your father’s name. On the internet, you can easily find various online websites such as eDrafrer.in that provide online name change services in India. eDrafter has been in this industry for a long time and provides professional services for name change. However, on the internet, you may also find websites that don’t offer quick and professional services but be careful.
Steps for Changing Father’s Name in India
- Obtain a copy of your birth certificate. In order to change your father’s name, you will need to provide a copy of your birth certificate as proof of identity. To obtain a copy of your birth certificate from the municipality or corporation where you were born.
- Fill out a name change application. The name change application will typically be available at the municipality or corporation where you were born, or it can be obtained online from the Ministry of Home Affairs website.
- Submit the name change application. Along with the completed application, you will need to provide a copy of your birth certificate, a valid ID, and any other supporting documents that may be required, such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree.
- Pay the required fees. There may be fees associated with the name change process, which must be paid at the time of application.
- Wait for the name change to be approved. The process for approving a name change can vary, but it typically takes several weeks or even months. You will be notified by the municipality or corporation once the name change has been approved.
- Obtain a new birth certificate. Once the name change has been approved, you will need to obtain a new birth certificate with your father’s updated name. This can typically be done at the municipality or corporation where you were born.
- Update your other legal documents. Once you have your new birth certificate, it is important to update any other legal documents that may be affected by the name change, such as your passport, driver’s license, and bank accounts.
It is important to note that the process for changing a father’s name legally in India may vary slightly depending on the jurisdiction in which you reside.
Changing the father’s name in India is a legal process that requires following certain steps and meeting specific requirements. It is important to carefully consider the decision to change your father’s name, as it can have significant consequences. If you are considering changing your father’s name, it is recommended that you seek the advice of an advisor to ensure that the process is completed properly.